Monday, November 1, 2010

fun with food and science

I'm a big fan of eating my colors. There are a lot of fun ways to do this with seasonal produce and thinking about food is one of my favorite activities. Recently, I roasted some farmer's market purple cauliflower with olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Below, check out the hot pink coloration that resulted! Very cool!

You're probably wondering about the color, by the way, which is not artificial. Purple cauliflower's color is caused by the presence of the antioxidant group anthocyanin, which can also be found in red cabbage and red wine. (cite)

fun with purple cauliflower closeup on bisected purple cauliflower chopped purple cauliflower stem purple cauliflower ready to roast purple = pink! fun with purple cauliflower

2 comments:

  1. Oh oh! I had purple potatoes yesterday with dinner. I had no idea they existed until they appeared in the CSA box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Purple potatoes are so fun.

    ReplyDelete